Tuesday 16 March 2010

Why the Trans Siberian?

I blame my mother. Well, don't we all? In this case, however, it really is her fault. In a conversation a couple of years ago, she suggested I go for a trip on the Trans Siberian railway to celebrate my (somewhat distant) fortieth birthday.

The idea stuck.

I managed to persuade three friends to join me on the journey, and three more to fly out to St Petersburg for my actual birthday. I set up a savings account with the credit union - a quick look at the travel options made it eminently clear that this would cost more than the average holiday. And I started planning.

Nearly two years on, and it's all bought and paid for - the visa, the tickets, the hotels - and I fly off to Vladivostok in a little over three weeks. All I have left to do is pack. Now, how many pairs of shoes can I fit in my rucksack...

2 comments:

  1. So glad you're going to blog this amazing trip. You're now officially in my favourites list. And thanks for doing a link to my blog. I'll try and reciprocate - if I can work out how!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt and I will look forward to traveling vicariously with you on this amazing journey! Not sure when you leave, but you could win some cash for your trip if you have time to check out my writing contest on www.treasureboxtales.com! I will also sponsor another contest in the fall, you may have a treasure to write about from your trip! I just started a blog on the "treasures" page...anyway have a blast!!!!

    ReplyDelete