Sunday 2 May 2010

Home again, home again...

"No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow."

So I'm back in Glasgow, the rucksack is back in the cupboard, the washing is in the machine and I've got a pile of mail a foot high. Since several parts of our journey were guided by "Top Ten" guides, I thought I'd finish with my own top ten moments of the journey.

1 - Seeing the train for the first time at Vladivostok and thinking - I'm really about to do the Trans Siberian Express!!

2 - Piroshki. We only discovered these fabulous pastries on the third day - what a waste...

3 - Snow in Siberia. So exciting to look out of the window to see a world of white, the mountains around Lake Baikal being particularly impressive.

4 - Walking on water. In fact jumping up and down on the frozen surface of Lake Baikal. Though I also look forward to going back in the summer some time and sailing on the lake.

5 - Orthodox service. I only spent a few minutes in the church in Perm, but listening to the choir sing was sublime.

6 - New Tretyakov Museum in Moscow. Fascinating to see the history of the last hundred years in Russia reflected in their art.

7 - Red Square by night.

8 - St Petersburg. Beautiful and characterful. Honestly, I think I might have to go there every year for my birthday...

9 - Swedish sauna and massage. Just the way to start the last leg of the journey home.

10 - Blagging our way into Tivoli and onto the roller coaster. Getting in was way more fun than the ride!

So that's it. Thanks for joining me on my wacky journey, and I'll keep you posted on my next plan. Hmmm, I wonder how I'd get home from Vladivostok going the other way round the globe...

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe I found my maggie!!!
    13 years later.
    are you on FB or linkedin or something so I can write you?

    Sophie - the crazy french flatmate of 4 days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I can't believe that you're not using this blog to plan the next crazy journey!

    ReplyDelete